Face of 75,000-year-old Neanderthal woman revealed
Primum Sapienti
2024-05-03 05:49:26 UTC
https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-68922877

Scientists have produced a remarkable
reconstruction of what a Neanderthal woman
would have looked like when she was alive.

It is based on the flattened, shattered
remains of a skull whose bones were so soft
when excavated they had the consistency of
"a well-dunked biscuit".

Researchers first had to strengthen the
fragments before reassembling them.

Expert palaeoartists then created the
3D model.
JTEM
2024-05-03 07:46:23 UTC
Post by Primum Sapienti
https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-68922877
Scientists have produced a remarkable
reconstruction of what a Neanderthal woman
would have looked like when she was alive.
It is based on the flattened, shattered
remains of a skull whose bones were so soft
when excavated they had the consistency of
"a well-dunked biscuit".
Researchers first had to strengthen the
fragments before reassembling them.
Expert palaeoartists then created the
3D model.
Not saying this shouldn't be done, that it's not useful but,
for some perspective you should try Google images. Look for
reconstructions (plural) on the famous King Tut.

I got some decent results with "king tut face"

One problem is that there is a "Popular" in not "Official"
reconstruction, so Google will splatter that ONE all over
the place. But there are many. And they're all based on
the very same remains.

So take everything with a grain of salt, is what I'm saying.
--
https://jtem.tumblr.com/tagged/The%20Book%20of%20JTEM/page/5